Here are 11 reasons why BMX is a great sport!
If you’ve ever considered BMX racing here are 10 reasons why you should get on your bike and hit the track! And, if you’re a parent wondering if you should let your son or daughter race BMX, you should. Read on to see why.
Reasons Why BMX is Awesome
If you already ride BMX, you don’t need me to tell you that this sport is absolutely amazing! BMX is exciting, challenging, and flexible for all sorts of ages and skill levels.
But what is it that sets BMX apart from all the rest? What makes this sport so widely admired and enduring? In other words, what makes it great? I’ll tell you…
- All Ages and Abilities Welcome: BMX isn’t just for men between the ages of 16 and 30, who had the good fortune to be raised in a middle- class household. It is a sport that anyone can pick up at any time. Boy or girl, from toddlerhood to the golden years, rich or poor, people from anywhere and everywhere can participate in BMX. All you need are a helmet, some protective gear, and, of course, a bike, all of which can be loaned, free of charge, at every sanctioned BMX track. No matter who you are, or where you’re from, if you’re interested in riding, feel free to join in!
- You Don’t Need a Lot of Expensive Equipment: BMX doesn’t require you to shell out hundreds in expensive equipment like some other sports. All you need is a bike, helmet, long pants and a long sleeve shirt to get started. Of course, if you want to upgrade you can (check out this list of recommended gear) but you don’t have to do it all at once.
- Sportsmanship: I’ve watched my son compete in many different sports – baseball, basketball, soccer, football and I have to say that BMX, hands down, was the most positive, encouraging sport of all. Instead of being competitive and cliquish, BMX riders tend to be supportive, helpful and all-around great athletes.
- Participation Optional: One of the best parts about BMX racing is that you don’t need to commit to a schedule. You can race as often (or not) as you’d like. If your schedule is busy and you need to back off, that’s fine. If you’re super committed and want to race more often, you can. It’s completely up to you.
- Fitness Made Fun: There are a lot of distractions, mostly in the form of tablets and smart phones, which keep all of us, young and old alike, from staying active. I mean, let’s face it; “exercising” isn’t fun. But it is fun is to jump over ramps, speed around tracks, and hang out with a community of fun-loving people! BMX is the perfect full-body work out. It combines cardio with strength training, all while tricking your brain and body into thinking it’s simply playtime (which, ultimately, it is!). Working out doesn’t have to be a chore; you can work out, build a new skill-set, and meet new friends, by simply donning a helmet, and pumping those pedals at your local track.
- Parents and Kids Can Race Together: There aren’t many sports out there that parents and kids can participate in together. It’s a great way for families to bond over a common interest.
- Safety: Riding BMX at a sanctioned track is no more dangerous than riding a bicycle recreationally. Protective gear is a must in order to be allowed to compete, and, while injuries do occur, it’s no more dangerous than other mainstream sports like football, baseball or wrestling. It is important to remember that risks come with every sport, but as long as you take the proper precautions, and pace yourself realistically, there is no reason to worry.
- You Can Start Young: One of the best parts of a BMX race is watching the young kids on striders. BMX is one of the few sports where kids can start as young as age 2!
- You’re Never Too Old: The 40+ age group is one of the fastest growing classes in BMX. As long as you can still ride a bike, you can race BMX.
- History/ Community: BMX is a sport that was created in the 80s by kids, for kids, and the culture stays true to form even today. People ride because they love it; sure glory and fame are great, but family, friends, and the community’s shared love of bikes, are what really hold it together and keep people coming back.
- BMX is Rad: Let’s face it…BMX is pretty rad sport! Who doesn’t love to watch riders fly around the track, jumping obstacles? It’s fun to watch but even more fun to ride!
More BMX Stuff You Might Like
Looking for more? Check out all of the BMX Basics content on BMX-Insider.